Sunday, March 29, 2015

Natural "Dye-Free" Easter Eggs



Easter is by far, my favorite holiday of the year. Celebrating our Risen Savior, family time, brunch, warmer weather, egg hunts, and candy-filled baskets- what's not to love! It's a time of new life that always leaves me refreshed.

Dying Easter eggs has always been my favorite activity of this season. It's a great chance to be creative with a blank canvas. Although it's super convenient to purchase pre-made dye, I really enjoy using and experimenting with natural, color creating ingredients. 


^^ First, start with hard boiled eggs. I boil mine for about 9 minutes, turn off the heat, and let them sit  in the hot water another minute or two. Then I drain the water from the pot and let them cool.

Do not worry about exact measurements when making natural dye. The goal is to achieve your desire pigment (darkness & lightness) by playing with the qualities of foods/spices. Have fun with it! If you discover more items that would aid in creating a certain color, just add them to the pot!


^^ For the yellow dye, I used a couple table spoons of turmeric, and two bags of green tea. 


^^ For the green dye, I used two handfuls of chopped spinach, green tea bags, and fresh basil. 


^^ For the pink dye, I used 3 cubed red beets, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, and 8 oz pomegranate juice.




^^ Place the dye ingredients into seperate sauce pans and fill with water one inch above the ingredients. 


^^ Bring the dye mixture to a boil.


^^ Cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour- periodically check on them to see when your desired color is achieved. 


^^ Place a colander or strainer over a bowl and drain your dye. 


 ^^ Add 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar to teach dye while they're still warm. 


Fill dipping jars with the dye, and lower the eggs inside using a small ladle or spoon. I used larger mason jars so that we could dye 2-3 eggs at a time. 


^^ Let the eggs sit for 15-45 minutes depending on the color you want. I let these sit for about 30 minutes, placed them back into the carton cups to drip dry, and then back into the refrigerator. (For egg salad tomorrow!) 


We had a lot of fun watching the white egg shells slowly turn into these beautiful colors. The best part of it all was that we 'made' these colors using natural ingredients! I really look forward to experimenting with new items each year, and I hope you have fun customizing your own colors, too!

Happy Easter! 
xo- Monica



No comments:

Post a Comment