Thursday, January 15, 2015

Value


News Year Day has always been one of my favorite days. Friends and family are all on vacation from work, and it allows us time to take a deep breath after the holidays as we prepare to step into a New Year. The hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping and events have come and gone. We are given a moment of rest, a moment to refocus, a moment to confess our shortcomings and achievements of the past year, and a moment to create new goals we hope to conquer in the New Year. 

Since having Walter, New Years Eve has lost it's spark. Cocktails and a late night out are generally a recipe for a groggy morning, and with a busy toddler, neither of us want that. So we had a low-key evening at home with some close-friends, some who decided to spend the night for our morning celebration. Since most of our friends also have young kiddos, we chose to do our "real" New Years party on the morning of the First. We had so much fun hosting our friends, neighbors, and family for brunch where we enjoyed mimosas, french toast, muffins, fruit, quiche, bacon, cheese grits, and ham. After our celebratory feast, we loaded the kids up in strollers and wagons and walked down to the neighborhood park to play until nap time. This was by far my favorite New Year's celebration ever, and we can't wait to host it again next year. 

Along with the celebration of the New Year comes goal setting, resolution making, and prioritizing. Before diving into a fully loaded Spring semester in Art and Design School, I had a laundry list of errands to run... one of those included taking my rings to get inspected at the jeweler. Because our jeweler is located 30 minutes from our house, I have not made it a priority to have it done. I'm embarrassed to say it has been over a year (just before Walter was born) since I took them in. I took the Saturday before school began to drive out to meet my mother and sister-in-law for lunch and have my rings inspected. Let's be honest, I wasn't so concerned for my rings well-being, I just wanted them clean! The diamonds were visibly fogged with residue from everyday wear. Throughout the past year, my poor rings have encountered acrylic paint, poopy diapers, apple sauce and yogurt spills, nightly dishwashing, sweat and exercise, charcoal and pastel dust, and salty bay water to name a few. 

After handing over my rings and waiting a few minutes for the jeweler to inspect them, she came back to report that 8 diamonds were lose and the platinum needed serious cleaning. She continued to explain that it was a miracle I hadn't lost any stones yet. Even though they're insured, my heart was so heavy but equally thankful that nothing had happened to my original diamonds. She continued on, begging me to bring them in for inspection every four months so that they can remain clean and safe. 

I was without my rings for three days while they tightened, cleaned, and polished them. I was disappointed in myself for not taking care of something so important to me, that I once protected like my life depended on it. 

When I received my rings three days later, I opened the box and had an immediate flashback to the first time I saw my engagement ring, when Matt proposed. I was that same giddy smiling girl again, continuously glancing down at them, making sure nothing "dirtied" them, and unconsciously showing them off to the cashier at the grocery store as I swiped my card. The feeling of something pure and new, a symbol of unconditional love that I was so proud to wear. 

Although it has only been (almost) three years, these rings and my marriage have become such a part of me that I don't think twice about them sometimes. They are both engrained in me through my biggest joys and my lowest lows. They've both been cherished, admired, and held with such pride and high esteem. They've both been challenged, taken for granted, and at times neglected. 

Just like my ring, the uniqueness of Matt's constant servant heart can be taken for granted. His pure love and happiness in Walter fascinates me. I get lost watching Walter admire his Daddy while they play, but at times I am too busy to slow down and notice. The sincerity of his determination and pride in taking care of his family above all else can be viewed as just one of his responsibilities. Just like my ring, the million reasons why I love Matt can become foggy if I don't let them shine bright. 

My best friend recently and suddenly lost her husband and new Father of their baby girl. We have lived our lives together: running sprint sets together at field hockey practice, attending school dances in the same limo, we graduated, I watched her fall in love, be a devoted wife, become an amazing selfless mother, and walk through life's unimaginable with the most steadfast faith I've ever encountered. The week of Christmas she asked me to please never take Matt for granted. Those words reached every corner of my heart... and I promised her I never would. 

Do I make it my top priority to make sure that Matt knows I value and love him every day?

I look back at 2014 as an amazing year for my family. Parenting Walter has brought obvious challenges to our marriage, but those challenges have transformed the love and respect we have for one another: I have felt our foundation of love grow deeper and stronger than I knew possible. 

I'm walking into this New Year with few "new ideas" and goals (graduation!!!). Instead of a new resolution, I have new realization of the meaning of value. Value, by definition, is one's judgement of what is important in life. My realization and top priority for 2015 is to intentionally honor the valuable relationships, people, and experiences that God has placed so gracefully in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment